The cross not only meets the legal obligation before God and solves the problem of sin in humanity but also destroys the power of the Enemy. Jesus rendered the Enemy powerless.
Since the children have flesh and blood, he too shared in their humanity so that by his death he might break the power of him who holds the power of death—that is, the devil. (Hebrews 2:14)
The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. (1 John 3:8)
And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross. (Colossians 2:15)
The stranglehold of humanity’s enemy is broken. This is not a theological statement or Christian ideology. If Jesus’ death on the cross is truth to be experienced, then the destruction of the Enemy’s power is also truth to be experienced. The Devil can no longer hold humanity under his authority. Human beings have the choice to walk away from the control and slavery of Satan.
You and I did not have a choice when Adam chose to listen to the Enemy and, consequentially, became his slave. But today, you and I have the choice to walk away from this slavery of the cosmic vacuum in which the Enemy has placed us. The evidence of the historical reality of the cross is its present ability to enable mankind to experience freedom from the Enemy. We can choose to walk away in freedom—now.
Consider these vital statements about the disruption of the cross:
- The price for sin is paid by the sacrificial death of Jesus on the cross.
- The power of sin is broken by the sacrificial death of Jesus on the cross.
- The forgiveness of sin is achieved by the sacrificial death of Jesus on the cross.
- The righteousness of Jesus has met the righteous requirements of God for a rebirth of the human spirit.
- The Spirit of God can take residence in human beings and begin a spiritual relationship with the Father.
- All this occurred historically so it can become a present experiential reality.
A historical event took place in the natural that had supernatural implications, leading to a spiritual solution that humanity can choose to experience at any moment of time.